A guide to spending a day in the namesake town on the Amalfi Coast
Although Positano may be the town that covers the Instagram pages of celebrities, travel bloggers, and photographers alike, Amalfi was the town that truly captured my heart on the legendary Amalfi Coast. In contrast to the luxurious Positano, Amalfi has a local Italian vibe, complete with historic buildings, a cute main road, and of course the sparkling Mediterranean views. It captures all the same mesmerizing qualities of Positano, but it feels as if you are just part of the local Italian neighborhood in contrast to the resort-like feel in Positano. Positano and Amalfi are both worth a day of exploring for their unique charms.
What To Do
- See the huge mosaic of the Mediterranean. It is down toward the beach and main driving road. It features Amalfi along with “Roma”, “Gerusalem”, and “Alessandria”. (Picture 3)
- Visit the Amalfi Cathedral (Duomo di Sant’Andrea Apostolo). It is a must see in Amalfi. It is perfect for history lovers, photographers, families, and all travelers who love art and architecture. (Picture 2 and 4)
- Take a nap on the beach or swim in the turquoise Mediterranean water. (Picture 5)
- Stroll and shop down the main street that the Amalfi Cathedral is located on. We did not need a map at all in Amalfi, everything was walkable and easy to locate by the flow of the crowds.
What to Eat
- You’re in Italy! So Amalfi is overflowing with delicious places to eat and drink. Look where you see a lot of locals and not the overcrowded tourist traps.
- Try the fish and chips stands located near the Amalfi Cathedral, then eat at the beach or on the Amalfi Cathedral’s steps.
- Grab a personal pizza or pizza slice at a pizzeria. Easy to find near the many shops.
- Limoncello is everywhere! Buy it from a shop in a handprinted bottle that you can bring home as a souvenir.
- Don’t forget to try the gelato. I recommend citrus flavors, fragola (strawberry), or nocciola (hazelnut).
What to Look for
- The Amalfi Coast is known for its lemons, so try anything that is made from those delicious yellow fruits. (Picture 1)
- Look for the miniature city scenes made of little dolls and houses found along the roads